Sunday 3 February 2013

Don't sit it out: say no to a sedentary life!


I find it shocking how sedentary some people can be. As you already know, I live in a small village where everything is within walking distance. That, incredibly, will not stop some from driving to work every day even though it may take them five or ten minutes on foot!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not telling people what they must do. They can do as they well please. But it stands out a mile that a sedentary life is not good for you.

The thing is our bodies are not made to stay inactive. In other words, you are born to move. That is why a sedentary lifestyle can be very detrimental to your health in the long term.

There is much truth in the saying "Use it or lose it". Just like you need to keep your mind active, so must you exercise your body. You may feel OK now, but a sedentary lifestyle will probably take its toll once you are no longer young.

What can you do? It's easy, do more exercise! You don't have to run a marathon. You don't even have to hit the gym. Just walk, walk everywhere. Of course, if you can do some regular exercise (brisk walking, for instance), so much the better. 

Any doctor will tell you that you're not doing your body any favours by sitting on your bum all day long. So here's a video to make you spring into action. Move!


How often do you take exercise?
Once a week
Twice a week
Three times a week
Almost every day
Every day

4 comments:

  1. Nice article! When I was in India, it was more village-like and I always walked through the neighborhoods, hanging out with my friends and such. When I came to the United States, there are so many ways that you can entertain yourself inside that I don't even find it necessary to go outside. Yet I do push myself out everyday because as you said, people aren't meant to be sedentary.

    -Felix

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased because I got a new bike last week, my first for 20 years!

    Anyhow, I'm now riding from the river in town to the sea - about 12 kms per day. Having a break on the beach, getting fit, getting some rays AND saving money on a gym or the train.

    When I'm back in Prague, I'll do the same thing. Get a bike, I mean - it won't be sunny though nor is there a beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great plan.

      I don't have a bike but I will buy one eventually. I now do brisk walking almost every day.

      Fortunately, the weather is slowly getting warmer here so it will be nicer to be outdoors!

      Delete